Sunday 6 March 2011

Water Colours - Inspired by the Water Colour Exhibition at the Tate Britain

I have been to this exhibition twice as it is so extensive. The different colour rooms seemed to overwhelm in some cases, for example the green room ! I prefer the walls to be less over powering and allow the art works animate the space. Also the middle room displaying the painting palettes of artists such as Turner and Queen Victoria seemed misplaced somehow. It distracted from the continuity. I guess it is catering for a audience which is across the board and from this point of view I can understand why the curator incorporated it.
This exhibition covered early British water colour to it's  contemporary uses and exploration of the medium.
Anish Kapoor uses the medium in a very experimental approach. He mixes gouache with earth and creates an intense red and black void. This work was stunningly strong and sexual -  this work demands attention. It is interesting how Kapoor has pushed the boundaries in his use of watercolour allowing it to be more sculptural. http://www.anishkapoor.com/
I was inspired enough to dig out my water colours and re-acquaint myself with a technique I always used in the past as a form of relaxation. Now I will use it to draw and plan my work.

1 comment:

  1. Heather, you always inspire me.

    I particularly like the first one although all four are lovely.

    Such a treat to be in London where there are always so many amazing art exhibitions and events happening. I must come visit :-)

    ReplyDelete